The idea of evaluation can make us vulnerable and uncomfortable. Nevertheless, evaluation is essential for ongoing growth and improvement. It is a tool for determining where we are in relation to where we would like to be. Without clear, intentional, and ongoing processes of evaluation, organizations tend to be focused on maintaining the status quo rather than continuously evolving and deepening their capacity to fulfill their mission.
Member Services has a number of evaluative tools for your use:
- Whole Ministry Review: This tool assists ministries in exploring all areas of the ministry from the viewpoints of the minister’s and board’s functions and from a personal perspective that encourages individuals to consider how they participate in creating a successful ministry. Feedback and input garnered through this process supports a journey of continuous growth and active participation in the ministry.
- Mission Development Guide: This tool is for ministries intentionally operating from a mission-centric perspective supporting all members of the community in growth and development while enhancing their ability to fulfill the ministry’s mission. The collective data can be used by the board in strategic planning and supports a deepening fulfillment of its mission.
- Board Review: Planning and evaluation are key responsibilities for the board. To fulfill this responsibility, it is imperative the board continually look at its own functioning each time a change occurs. Considering how to work more effectively and collaboratively with one another. This tool assists in that process.
- Board Self-Assessment: This simple self-reflective tool is designed to assist individual board members to consider how they can most effectively use their gifts, talents, and passions in service to the ministry and how they serve as one cohesive family.
- Minister/Board Team Evaluation: Effective ministry is a collaborative effort in which the minister and board work together as a spiritual team to forward the mission of the ministry. This tool is a powerful way of exploring together how you are doing and how you can be more effective. We recommend that the board and minister engage this process annually.