Process to Become a Unity Minister
The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.—Mahatma Gandhi
Becoming a Unity minister is rich and rewarding—and it can be very demanding. We encourage those interested in becoming a Unity minister to consider this call thoughtfully and prayerfully. There are two skills we encourage you to work on before applying to a ministerial path.
- Self-Awareness: Ministry is a vocation of service, and it calls one to be present to others in a deep and authentic way. Self-awareness is critical. If you are considering Unity ministry, we invite you to develop your self-awareness through prayer, mindfulness, trainings, etc., or by working with a coach or therapist.
- Articulating Unity Principles: Ministry calls us to share the transformative principles with others in a way that they can understand them and apply them to their lives. It is often helpful for potential candidates to reflect on the Unity teachings and find ways to express them in their own words.
If Unity ministry calls to you, we thank you for your desire to serve, and your dedication to Unity. And we hold you in light and love as you embark upon this journey of discovery.
Unity Ministerial Paths
One of Unity’s core teachings is that we are each an individualized expression of God. We honor this individuality through a diversity of ministerial paths. All paths are designed to call forth the same standards of ministerial excellence.
The Field Ministerial Path
Unity’s Field Ministerial Path is designed for individuals who are currently serving in a spiritual leadership role in a Unity organization. The Field Path looks at each individual’s experience and education, and we collaborate with them in designing a path to ordination that best fits their scenario. This program may include courses, work in a Unity ministry, and/or practicums designed to create learning and development in a particular area of ministry.
Unity Worldwide Spiritual Institute (UWSI) offers a graduate level online academic program with periodic face-to-face intensives and internships. A master of divinity is available for those interested. Visit our ministerial studies webpage for more information.
Unity Urban Ministerial School (UUM) offers a graduate-level online program with emphasis on transforming communities, face-to-face and virtual connections, and a 9-month, mentor-guided, internship.
Unity has a number of International Schools that guide individuals in other countries through the process of becoming a Unity minister. All programs are in alignment with UWM credentialing requirements and may lead to ordination by Unity Worldwide Ministries.
To learn more about UWM’s credentialing process, visit our policies webpage.
Ministerial Program Prerequisites
A bachelor’s degree is a prerequisite for application to a ministerial path. This prerequisite can be waived through an Academic Demonstration process. To learn more, please contact our Credentialing Coordinator, Rev. Lynn O’Dell at LODell@unity.org or download the Academic Demonstration Application.
To ensure a foundation in Unity teachings, 18 prerequisite courses must be taken before applying for a ministerial path. These courses may be obtained through UWSI, UUMS or a Unity center. These courses are:
- Foundations of Unity
- Metaphysics 1
- Metaphysics 2
- Metaphysics 3
- Metaphysics 4
- The Twelve Powers
- Jesus Teachnings
- The Christ
- Healing and Wholeness
- History of New Thought and Unity
- Unity Prayer
- Meditation Practices
- Overview: Hebrew Scriptures
- Overview: Christian Scriptures
- Bible Interpretation: Hebrew Scriptures
- Bible Interpretation: Acts to Revelation
It may be possible to obtain equivalencies for these courses. To learn more, please contact our Credentialing Coordinator, Rev. Lynn O’Dell, at LODell@unity.org.
- Applications for our ministerial training will be posted on August 2, 2021 for March 2022 interviews and January 15, 2022, for August 2022 interviews. See Ministry Path Request for Application below.
- Due date for submitting applications is November 2, 2021, for March 2022 interviews and April 15, 2022, for August 2022 interviews. A non-refundable application fee is required with each application.
- An invitation to interview or redirection letter will be sent by December 15, 2021, for March interviews and by June 15, 2022, for August interviews. These letters will either invite individuals for interviews or inform them that we do not believe they are ready at this time.
- Those invited to interviews must confirm attendance by January 1, 2022, for March interviews and by July 1, 2022, for August interviews. These interviews include psychological assessments. Those who attend interviews should expect an additional fee of $700-$1000.
- Interviews will take place March 14-18, 2022, and August 22-26, 2022.
Ministry Path Request for Application
Application requests are open from Aug 2, 2021 through Nov 2 2021
International students may contact Rev. Cynthia Vermillion-Foster, CFoster@unity.org, for information on the international path.
I don’t know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve.—Albert Schweitzer