Process to Become a Unity Minister
The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.—Mahatma Gandhi
Becoming a Unity minister is rich and rewarding—and it can be very demanding. We encourage those interested in becoming a Unity minister to consider this call thoughtfully and prayerfully. There are two skills we encourage you to work on before applying to a ministerial path.
- Self-Awareness: Ministry is a vocation of service, and it calls one to be present to others in a deep and authentic way. Self-awareness is critical. If you are considering Unity ministry, we invite you to develop your self-awareness through prayer, mindfulness, trainings, etc., or by working with a coach or therapist.
- Articulating Unity Principles: Ministry calls us to share the transformative principles with others in a way that they can understand them and apply them to their lives. It is often helpful for potential candidates to reflect on the Unity teachings and find ways to express them in their own words.
If Unity ministry calls to you, we thank you for your desire to serve, and your dedication to Unity. And we hold you in light and love as you embark upon this journey of discovery.
Paths to Ministry
One of Unity’s core teachings is that we are each an individualized expression of God. We honor this individuality through a diversity of ministerial paths. All paths are designed to call forth the same standards of ministerial excellence.
UWSI offers a graduate level online academic program with periodic face-to-face intensives and internships. A master of divinity is available for those interested. Visit www.unityworldwideministries.org/uwsi/ministerial-studies for more information.
The Field Path is designed for individuals who are currently serving in a Unity ministry—either under the supervision of a Unity minister or as a spiritual leader serving under our Special Dispensation Policy.** The Field Path looks at each individual’s experience and education, and we collaborate with them in designing a path to ordination that best fits their scenario. This program may include classes through UWSI, work in a Unity ministry, and/or practicums designed to create learning and development in a particular area of ministry.
There is an annual fee for the field program of $1450. The annual fee for candidates beginning their first year is due within 60 days of acceptance into the program. This fee is due on March 15th every additional year of participation until ordination is achieved.
** We are also considering opening The Field Path to individuals interested/involved in other forms of ministry. This work is still in process. If you are interested doing ministry in an alternative way, check back with us in November 2020.
UUMS offers a graduate-level online program with emphasis on transforming communities, face-to-face and virtual connections, and a 9-month, mentor-guided, internship. For more information, visit www.uums.org.
Unity has a number of International Schools that guide individuals in other countries through the process of becoming a Unity minister.
All programs are in alignment with UWM credentialing requirements and may lead to ordination by Unity Worldwide Ministries.
Ministerial Program Prerequisites
There are two prerequisites for our ministerial program.
- The completion of 18 Spiritual Education and Enrichment (SEE) courses. Visit the UWSI website for a list of these courses. It may be possible to obtain equivalencies for these courses. To learn more, please contact our Credentialing Coordinator, Rev. Lynn O’Dell, at LODell@unity.org.
- A bachelor’s degree. This prerequisite can be waived through an Academic Demonstration process. To learn more, please contact our Credentialing Coordinator, Rev. Lynn O’Dell at LODell@unity.org or download the Academic Demonstration Application here.
- Applications for our ministerial training will be posted on January 15, 2020, for August interviews and on August 2 for March 2021 interviews. See "Ministry Path Request for Application" below.
- Due date for submitting applications is April 15, 2020, for August interviews and November 2, 2020, for March 2021 interviews. A non-refundable application fee is required with each application.
- Response letters to applicants will be sent by June 15, 2020, for August interviews and December 15, 2020, for March 2021 interviews. These letters will either invite individuals for interviews or inform them that we do not believe they are ready at this time.
- Those invited to interviews must confirm attendance by July 15, 2020, for August interviews and January 15, 2021, for March 2021. These interviews include psychological assessments. Those who attend interviews should expect an additional fee of $700-1000.
- Interviews will take place August 17–21, 2020, and March 9-13, 2021, at Unity Village, Missouri.
Ministry Path Request for Application
Ministry Path Applications Available for download on August 2, 2020.
International students may contact Rev. Cynthia Vermillion-Foster, CFoster@unity.org, for information on the international path.
I don’t know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve.—Albert Schweitzer