General Questions about Unity Worldwide Spiritual Institute
Enrollment and Registration
Who is eligible to enroll in Unity Worldwide Spiritual Institute (UWSI) courses?
Everyone with a high-speed internet connection, computer (4 years old or newer), microphone/speaker/headset, web cam, web browser (Google Chrome or Firefox) and an interest in spiritual exploration and growth.
Anyone can take Spiritual Enrichment and Education (SEE) courses. Students do not need to have graduated from high school or college to take an SEE course.
What is the difference between enrolling in UWSI and registering for a course at UWSI?
When starting at any school, students must first enroll in the school before they can take courses. We ask that all students, wishing to take online or on-campus courses with UWSI first enroll in the school (UWSI) and then registrer for courses. (Upon enrolling, students will be sent an email from our online learning system which will allow them to register for courses.)
Note: There is a one-time, non-refundable enrollment fee of $50 to cover staff cost is supporting a new student as they enter UWSI.
When is registration open for each term and how do I register for a course?
Registration for courses will be open one month prior to the start of courses. See the UWSI Academic Calendar for specific dates.
To register for a specific course, enrolled UWSI students should go to the UWSI website, select "For Students," from the top menu, hover over the arrow by "Register for Course" and select which type of course you are interested in registering for. Students may select from:
- Ministerial Registration (for those who have competed the prerequiste SEE courses and requirements)
- SEE Online Registration (for any spiritual learner wishing to take SEE courses online with UWSI)
- SEE Field Registration (for spiritual learners wishing to take SEE courses being offered in Unity ministries)
- LUT Path Registration (for those pursuing credentialing as a licensed Unity teacher).
How many students must be enrolled in a course for it to be taught?
There must be 5 students or more for a course to be taught. A course may be cancelled if enrollment is less than five (5) students.
Who do I make my check payable to?
Make your check payable to "Unity Worldwide Ministries" or "UWM" and be sure to put "UWSI and the name of the course" in the memo line.
Academic Calendar, Courses and Schedules
Continuing Education Credit (CEU) for Credentialed Unity Leaders.
I am a credentialed Unity leader and need to update my CEU Credits. Can I take UWSI's SEE or M&RS courses to update my CEU credits?
Will I need to enroll in UWSI if I only want to take courses for CEU credit?
Yes, you will need to enroll and pay a one-time enrollment fee of $50 to help defray administrative costs.
How much will it cost to take a course at UWSI for CEU credit?
As a benefit to our credentialed Unity leaders (ministers and licensed Unity teachers) – Unity ministers and LUTs will receive a 50% discount on their tuition for any UWSI online course, taken for CEU credit.
Tuition and Fees
What are UWSI's tuition and fees?
- Enrollment in UWSI for online and onsite courses: $50 USD (one-time, non-refundable enrollment fee)
- Spiritual Education and Enrichment (SEE) Online Course: $120 USD for a 10 credit SEE course (some scholarships are available*)
- Ministerial and Religious Studies (M&RS) Online and Intensive Courses: $140 USD per credit hour (some scholarships available*)
- A total of 90 credit hours is required to complete the M.Div. program.
- The full-time M.Div program would take 3 years
* Year 1: 41 credit hours = $5,740 USD
* Year 2: 36 credit hours = $5,040 USD
* Year 3: 13 credit hours = $1,820 USD
* Total for 3 years / 90 credits = $12,600 USD
Since the program can be taken on a part-time basis, the actual cost of tuition per year depends on how many courses the student takes in a given year. Some scholarships* will be available so that can also reduce the tuition costs.
- Courses taken by credentialed Unity leaders for Continuing Education (CEU) credit receive a 50% discount on SEE and M&RS courses.
- Registration for SEE courses taken in the Unity field for SEE credit (i.e. not online or onsite through UWSI): $45 USD
The cost of tuition for SEE courses taught by a Unity ministry in the field will be determined by the ministry hosting the course. Unity ministries may register their courses for SEE credit and have their students register for credit in those courses through UWSI's online learning system.
I was already taking SEE courses through Unity Institute (UI), why am I being asked to enroll at UWSI and pay $50 USD when I am already an SEE/ministerial student?
Since UWSI is a new school, all students wishing to take UWSI courses need to enroll in UWSI and pay a one-time enrollment fee of $50 USD. This one-time fee partially covers staff time to enter a student's information into our new learning system and/or to double check that a UI student's records were transferred correctly from UI and to set up a student's account in our new online learning system.
Can I withdraw or drop from a UWSI course?
Yes, you may withdraw at any time.
Yes, you may drop a course/s at any time. See the M&RS or SEE Academic Catalogs for more details.
If I withdraw or drop a course, will I get a refund
- Onsite course refunds will be determined on a case-by-case basis
- Online course refunds will be determined by the timing of the withdrawal request. See M&RS and SEE Academic Catalogs for details.
- Request received before the end of week one - 100% refund
- Request received before the end of week two - 50% refund
- Request received after the end of week two - no refund
What type of computer or software will I need to have?
You can use either a PC or Apple computer - that is no more than 5 years old - with the most recent version of software. This is our learning platform provider, Blackboard's, recommendation and our students and faculty have found this to be very true. Many of the technology challenges they encountered "disappeared" when they were able to shift to a computer less than 5 years old.
Do I need to be a computer "geek" to take UWSI online courses?
No, you don't have to be an expert with a computer. However, to be successful, you do need to have a solid basic understanding of computers, the internet and be comfortable doing things online. You also must be comfortable with basic software (like Microsoft Word or other word processing software). If you don't feel comfortable with a computer or going online, we strongly recommend that you take a basic computer or internet course. (These are available from local adult education programs at high schools, junior colleges, AARP. etc.) Being comfortable with your computer and software will help you enjoy and be successful with your UWSI courses.
What type of "extras" will I need?
Since you will be interacting with other students and instructors online, you'll need some type of microphone, speakers and video cam. Our students have found that having a headset with a mic is very helpful. Check the Systems Requirement webpage for more specific information.
What are the specific system requirements?
Blackboard's specific system requirements can be found on the Systems Requirement webpage.
Will scholarships be available to UWSI?
Yes. There are scholarships available for students in both the Ministerial & Religious Studies and the Licensed Unity Teacher Path Intensive, held on-camups. Scholarship amounts and the number of scholarships available are dependent upon criteria set up by the donors. More information can be found on our website under “For Students” at Tuition, Fees & Scholarships.