The landscape of our ministries is changing. Many churches across all denominations are shrinking or closing all together. The number of U.S. adults who do not identify with any organized religion is growing. Just as the containers from our childhood have changed, so must the containers for our spiritual experience.
There are some questions to ask first:
- What is the difference between “doing something old in a new way” and “doing something brand-new in an old way”?
- Rev. Dr. Theresa Thames asked, “How we do not drown in all the tradition and not be overwhelmed by innovation?”
- What is important to the ministry?
- The idea that we are all connected.
- The idea that when one of us is affected by a circumstance, everyone is impacted.
- The idea that what is amiss in the world is not "their" problem ... it's "our" problem!
- The idea that as a society, we progress no farther or faster than "the least of us."