This grant provides financial support to qualified ministries so that they may develop audio and/or video recordings in order to build awareness and interest in Unity teachings and Unity ministries.
Audio Video Matching Grant Description
Through this Templeton Grant, Unity Worldwide Ministries (UWM) will provide support to ministry leaders assisting them in providing excellent content on their websites. This will require spiritual communities to purchase needed equipment and manage resources to create appealing content including podcasts (recordings available on the web) of their services. To enable ministers to provide podcasts of their services, we are offering two levels of grants for support: audio only and video.
Audio Only Grant
Grants for audio recording enable a low investment entry to message dissemination that helps a ministry to develop both commitment and expertise necessary to support the addition of video. Ministries applying must have a sound system, a website which they have the capacity to maintain, a broadband internet connection with appropriate upload speed and an employee, or committed volunteers, with IT skills. The grant would support acquisition of a computer sufficient to record a service, cabling to connect computer and sound system, and one year of professional support. Support would include assessment of current equipment, recommendations on equipment to purchase, training on installing and configuring the new equipment, sharing of best practices, and ongoing support as needed. An estimated cost for these upgrades is $2,200 each. UWM would anticipate providing a matching grant for half of the amount for $1,100.
A video enhancement grant would enable ministries with a commitment to disseminating our Unity message through video to uplevel the production quality of their system in line with broadcast practices. A grant would support purchasing or upgrading cameras, lighting, sound board and switching equipment, and two years of support. Support would include assessment of current equipment, recommendations on equipment to purchase, and sharing of best practices. Estimated costs are $12,500 per ministry, depending upon existing equipment. UWM would anticipate providing a matching grant for half of the amount or $6,250.
All ministries supported by the grants for audio and video recording would be required to attach a trailer to their podcasts and commit to survey listeners or viewers to determine whether (and if so, how) the podcasts had made a difference in their lives. UWM will support this process by creating a survey asking these questions and providing the survey, links and language to the ministry to survey their listeners.
Matching Grant Application
Basic assessment of current equipment would take place during the grant application process. Questions applicant will answer would include:
- Current Ministry Practices: Does your ministry currently record services? If so, is it audio only, video only, or both? Does your ministry provide livestream of its services? Internal broadcast (i.e. to a nursery or overflow room)? What is your output resolution (i.e.: Standard Definition, High Definition, etc.)? How many hours a month do you currently stream or podcast?
- Equipment: Check all equipment that your ministry currently owns and state what the make/model and year of the equipment is: including but not limited to microphones, soundboard, camera(s), camera signal cabling, remote zoom, video capture cards, tilt and pivot bases, camera control cabling, white balance target, tripod(s), computer, AGP or PCI Express video card, software, video switching equipment, operating system of any computers used directly in video production (Windows, Mac, Linux), and technician intercom system.
- Services: Does your ministry have broadband internet? If so what is your bandwidth download and upload? Do you have a 3G/4G/4LTE over phone hotspot? Is the hotspot currently used to stream or provide internet service to your ministry? Do you have an aux feed from soundboard? Does your ministry have a streaming provider or hosting? What else is needed to support your ministry's current program?
- Personnel: (Mark all that apply) Do you have individuals in your ministry that are willing and able to be: a computer operator, a camera operator, a sound mixer for the Web, a sound technician for the service and PowerPoint, a technical engineer? Indicate if these are separate individuals and how frequently they are willing to participate.
All applications must be submitted no later than Thursday, November 29, 2018, at 5 p.m. CST.
Grant applications will be evaluated shortly after December 5. During this time, we may require phone interviews with our evaluation team between December 9-20, 2018. You will be notified if this is requested. The selected ministries will be notified on or about January 8, 2019. All other ministries who applied will be notified on or about January 10, 2018.
The following criteria will form the basis upon which Unity Worldwide Ministries will evaluate proposals. The mandatory criteria must be met and include:
- Ministry led by a Unity sanctioned leader
- Clear vision for ministry's need for audio and/or video recording
- Financial stability to maintain the program in the future
- Completeness of information submitted
- Consistent support to UWM
- A Statement of Financial Position must be included in the grant process in order to acertain sustainability beyond the grant period.
UWM will use a lottery selection process for all qualified ministries. The number of ministries awarded will align with the amount budgeted to matching grants for that period. Those not receiving a grant may re-apply during the next request for proposal.
Before you begin to fill out the grant application online
Before you begin, please have the following information on hand. You will not be able to partially fill out the application and come back to it later.
Information needed for the grant application:
- Ministry’s name, mailing address and website
- Spiritual leader’s name, phone number and email address
- Name of primary contact responsible for this grant
- Email address for communication regarding this grant. *Please note that this email must be actively monitored up to 2018 so that we may communicate with you regarding your results.
- Is your ministry participating in the Unity Identity Program (branding)?
- If no: Does your ministry plan to join the Unity Identity Program?
- Are you a part-time or full-time ministry?
- Does your ministry currently have a website? If yes:
- URL/web address:
- Website host (provides hosting services?):
- Have you established Google Analytics on your site to track site traffic?
- What is your average monthly site sessions over the last four months for your current web site?
- Is someone dedicated to maintaining your website? If yes, name and contact info:
- Are they paid staff or volunteer?
- What are their qualifications or experience with managing a website?
- Is your spiritual leader able to access and maintain your site?
- Why do you want to offer audio or video podcasting? What is your vision?
- What can your ministry contribute to creating Audio Video Podcasting in terms of financial resources and manpower?
- How do you see that Audio Video Podcasting will benefit your ministry?
- Do you have personnel willing and able to run a computer, video camera, sound mixer, etc., and what level of support do they offer?
- Please provide details on hardware and equipment (listed above) that you already have in place in your ministry.
- Please submit a Statement of Financial Position (Upload your ministy's Statement of Financial Position)
- Please provide a Profit & Loss statement for the past 6 months. (Upload your ministry's Profit & Loss statement)
Access the online application for the Video Matching Grant