Evolving Ministry was formerly known as Expansion Alternative Ministry. To see an overview of how we can support you in becoming a credentialed Unity ministry, see our Evolving Ministry brochure.
Feel free to contact Carrie Kenyon, Member Services Coordinator, at Unity Worldwide Ministries if you need clarity or have further questions: Carrie@unity.org or 816.434.6846.
Start a new Unity Ministry or Study Group
New Unity ministries and groups are a major contribution to the mission of Unity Worldwide Ministries (UWM) by reaching seekers and Spiritual Truth students in new areas across the country. This can be an exciting and challenging endeavor. The Expansion Ministries Team and Expansion Coordinator at UWM support individuals and/or groups that want to establish a new Unity ministry – either a Unity Study Group, Unity Expansion Church/Center Ministry or a Unity Expansion Alternative Ministry.
These groups meet as independent groups for the purpose of studying and practicing Unity principles. They are not officially affiliated with Unity Worldwide Ministries (UWM) (aka Association of Unity Churches, Inc.) and therefore cannot claim such an affiliation. In a community where there is no Unity ministry, such meetings afford Unity students the opportunity to gather together, even though they do not have a credentialed Unity leader in charge. These groups are usually started by someone interested in Unity who knows of others who would like to meet in this common desire. If there is a Unity ministry in a town nearby, the leader of that ministry may be able to help get the group started.
Starting a Non-Affiliated Study Group
Unity Expansion Church/Center Ministry
A Unity Church/Center Ministry involves the regular gathering of a congregation or spiritual community in a specified public facility and/or location, as well as a voting membership that includes, but is not limited to, the ministry Board. A Unity Expansion Church/Center Ministry is a ministry that is actively working toward full member status as a Unity Church/Center Ministry. (See Full Ministry Status Requirements)
Starting a New Church/Center Ministry
Start a New Ministry (US) This document gives an overview of the process, policies and requirements.
Start a New Ministry (US) (Spanish)
Start a New Ministry (Outside the U.S.) - Please contact Rev. Xiomara Malagon, (Xiomara@unity.org) our Worldwide Support Specialist.
Unity Expansion Alternative Ministry
In Unity, we acknowledge the many aspects of spiritual ministry and ministries. We recognize that spiritual ministries may be manifested into many other forms and structures. “Alternative Unity Ministries” are formally organized as separate from a traditional ministry. They are led by credentialed Unity leaders who feel called to serve the spiritual needs of people by conveying our Unity message in unique, creative and powerful ways. They have a Steering Team/Board of Directors but usually not other voting membership. A Unity Expansion Alternative Ministry is a ministry that is actively working toward full member status as a Unity Alternative Ministry. (See Full Ministry Status Requirements)
Starting a New Alternative Ministry
Questions and Help
- are interested in starting an expansion alternative ministry and want to explore the idea further
- need support with the alternative ministry you have founded
- want to know what support is available
- have applications or forms to submit or have questions about required forms
For assistance in Spanish, contact Rev Xiomara Malagon Xiomara@unity.org.
Unity Expansion Leaders Network Intentions:
- Offer a way for expansion ministry leaders to connect with one another
- Share what’s working, what’s not
- Ask for ideas or support with a particular challenge
- Connect with a mentor/coach, or offer to serve another expansion leader as a mentor/coach for a particular need.
- Be an informal, yet creative and vibrant resource for expansion leaders at any point on their journey
Next Call-In Presentation
For more information or to join our expansion leaders email list, contact Rev Carrie Kenyon, Member Services Coordinator, at Carrie@unity.org or 816.434.6846.
Previous Expansion Leaders Web-Call Presentations
- Expansion Update & Dialogue with Revs Cynthia Vermillion-Foster, Steve Colladay, Pat Ball - October 25, 2016 Video
- The Early Years with Rev Pat Ball - January 20, 2016 - Slides / Video
- Answering the Call Beyond the Walls with Revs Myra McFadden and Lonnie Vanderslice - August 27, 2015 - Slides / Video / Handouts
- Growing Your Expansion Ministry One S.T.E.P. At A Time with Mendhi Audlin, LUT - April 28, 2015 - Handout Slides Video
- Church Finances Part 3 with Rev Bruce Verkruyse, Jr, UWM CFO/COO - January 20, 2015 - Video
- 7 Questions to As As You Start A New Ministry with Rev Bonny Gilbert-Ashe & Christopher O'Brien Ashe - November 17, 2014 - Video
- Church Finances Part 2 with Rev Bruce Verkruyse, Jr, UWM CFO/COO - October 29, 2014 - Video (video starts 5 minutes into presentation)
- Steps to Creating a YFM Program with Rev Diane Venzera - Spetember 23, 2014 - Video
- Church Finances Part 1 with Rev Bruce Verkruyse, Jr, UWM CFO/COO - August 7, 2014 - Slides / Audio
- Needs of Expansion Leaders: Panel Discussion with Expansion Ministry Leaders - May 15, 2014 - Slides / Audio
Forms for Ministry Use
Update of Information Form
Update of Information Form (Spanish)
Required Reports for Expansion Ministries
Cash Count Template
Annual Report Form for Ministries
Annual Report Form for an Alternative Ministry
Full Church Status Support
Livestreaming Unity Ministries: For a list of livestreaming ministries, go to our Find a Ministry page and type “livestream” in the Keywords box.
IRS Change of Address Form - for Ministries Under UWM Tax Umbrella